If you thought remote working was just a passing phase, think again. Telecommuting in on the rise, according to Cindy Krischner Goodman, CEO of BalanceGal LLC. Today more than 34 million US Adults telecommute at least occasionally, and this number is expected to grow to 63 million by 2016.
Goodman’s article gives a blueprint for teleworking success:
- Be Creative – launch a pilot program (western union saves 3.2M over 5 years)
- Develop Criteria – Get a good teleworking policy in place.
- Technology – Use instant messaging and video chatting for spontaneous conversations.
- Metrics – measure productivity rather than hours.
- Communication – create a schedule for regular communications.